Harvard GSD Wheelwright Award is an international competition for beginning architects. Winners receive a $100,000 (USD) grant to foster intensive and innovative architectural research that is grounded in cross-cultural engagement and can have a significant impact on architectural discourse.
The Wheelwright Prize is intended to support research that will have an impact on practice. For this reason, we make it available to those who have received a degree from a professionally accredited architecture program; in other words, a program that is the prerequisite for taking the licensure exams.
The Wheelwright Prize is dedicated to advancing original architectural research that shows the potential to have a significant impact on architectural discourse. We are looking for individual candidates who are successful but emerging, resourceful and risk-takers, and who can make the most of this extraordinary opportunity to advance a research project that will have a significant impact on their own professional development and on the discipline of architecture at their core. set.
Established in 1935 in memory of Arthur W. Wheelwright, Class of 1887, the Wheelwright Award was originally titled the Arthur W. Wheelwright Traveling Fellowship. For decades to come, the scholarship provided extraordinary experiences for generations of Harvard GSD alumni. The scholarship was conceived at a time when travel abroad was out of reach for many.
- The Wheelwright Prize is open to beginning architects anywhere in the world.
- The applicant must have graduated from a professionally accredited architecture degree program in the last 15 years. (For the 2023 cycle: Graduates before January 2008 are not eligible.) Multiple degree holders may apply, provided they received their professional degrees between January 2008 and January 2023. Applicants do not need to be registered or licensed.
- Applicants may not have previously received the Arthur Wheelwright Travel Grant.
The Wheelwright Award winner will receive:
- $100,000 award to support the proposed research project
- Invitation to give a lecture at Harvard GSD
- Ability to publish research in a Harvard GSD journal
Deadline for application: January 29, 2023.
For more information: